WhoIsIt

Hello,

I live in an 80 year old bungalow with quasi-balloon framing. The
exterior walls currently have no insulation and I'd like to remedy
that. The stud cavities are open to the basement along the foundation
plate due to the framing technique. I was wondering what the
possibility of using an insulation blower from home depot to blow
insulation into the cavity from below would be. Obviously I'd have to
install some blocking after blowing it in to keep it from falling back
into the basement but that would be no big deal.

I was thinking I could shove the hose all the way up the wall, blow it
in and keep blowing as I pulled the hose out.

Any suggestions? Other methods? I know I could pull shingles on the
outside and drill holes but If I can avoid that, it might be better.
The windows in my house go almost to the ceiling so missing the spaces
above the windows would be no big deal.

Matt

How about the expanding foam like you can buy in cans to fill cracks?
It'll expand to fill all the space/cracks better than the blown will and
won't settle over time. It'll stick to the inside so blocking at the
bottom shouldn't be needed.

Not sure if this is a DIY project though. The installer has to be
careful not to put too much in a space so as not to blow the wall apart.
Although the open bottom may provide enough of a relief for the pressure.