Just tonight I saw a house in my neighborhood with exactly what I was
talking about. They have a retaining wall made up 10' wide pressure
treated boards, stacked 3 high. Post spacing that apears to be at 3
foot increments, and every other post is taller to accomodate the
fence. It this wrong? My main concern was for instance if someone was
leaning on the fence it would have a tremedous force being that the
posts are so long.

Thanks for all of your input.

Home Depot had some little pads of handouts about building retaining
walls. I think the product associated with them was some big screws for
holding things together. A way to keep the long posts stable is to
anchor them halfway up or higher, back into the dirt with a more or
less horizontal threaded rod or something (I don't know if rust would
be a problem) attached to some kind of anchory thing, a can full of
cement or something. If they did loosen up, you could tighten the nut
on the exposed end of the rod to pull them back up vertical. If you
can't tell, I've never done anything like this, but I have lots of
terrific ideas.