John Willis

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 04:16:56 GMT, "spoon2001"
scribbled this interesting note:

Any ideas why there is roofing cement at the bottom of the cap flashing?
Maybe at one point there was no step flashing underneath, the cap flashing
might have been in direct contact with the original roofing below?

From the looks of it, the step flashing you have is original to one of
the cedar roofs that has been on the home. That house has been roofed
many times. At least one of those times the installers merely butted
the shingles up to the flashings and before leaving the job put down a
bead of roof cement. That eventually failed and another layer of roof
cement was put on top of the old. Repeat the last step at least a
couple of more times and now you see why it looks the way it does.

John - I'd get up there and chip off that old roofing cement myself -
unfortunately I'm in Texas and it's HOT up there, and you said it's best to
do when the material is cold and brittle.

Being in Texas as well (and finishing a roof this evening) I know
about hot weather in Texas. If you get up early it is cool enough to
make removing that excess material easy. At very cold temperatures it
can actually shatter just by tapping on it with a hammer.

Thanks again, very, very much.

Any time.

--
John Willis