Dee

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 18:01:58 +0100, Dee wrote:

have a CH boiler on my landing - a Potterton Flamingo 20 -30. I also
have
a carbon monoxide alarm across the landing from it and just recently the
alarm has gone off a couple of times. I know the boiler is an old one
but,
just off the top of your head, could it be anything simple to fix? (The
flame doesn't burn yellow by the way). At the
moment I really can't afford to have a new boiler fitted.

Also had a look at boilers in B&Q but how on earth do you know which kind
get?

This is an open flued appliance. It really does need proper and
regular maintenance if it is to remain safe enough to use.

The flue liner may have failed?
The heat exchanger may be full of soot?
The flames may not be visibly yellow but still bad enough.

Stop using it now and get someone in if you need to.

We are going to get a Ravenheat CSI Primary condensing boiler but I'm really
worried about how to get someone to fit it. Rogue Traders unfortunately
makes everyone really wary about choosing a tradesman you can trust. Whilst
I know I can get someone Corgi registered, I don't know whether he'll rip
me off saying extra work needs to be done etc. does anyone have an idea how
much replacing a boiler should cost, just for the fitting?