Chris Styles

Default A not-quite loft conversion

All,

I've decided that getting my plans past the BCO would be easy compare to
getting them approved by the missus, but I still have a big loft space that
is being wasted, and I do need the storage.

So, the new plan is to fit proper load bearing floor into the loft (2"x10"
for the 16' span, raise them an extra 1" off the wallplate to stop them
interfering with the plasterboard ceiling below when they deflect). I plan
to leave access via the loft hatch exactly as before, so that is not extra
"livingspace", just a loft with a decent load bearing floor. At a later
date, I'll come back and put the staircase in, insulate the roof, fire
alarms, electrics, plumbing etc and make it a proper conversion.

Can anyone see any snags with this? Obviously I want to do the load bearing
floor such that when I do the loft conversion for real, it is suitable, so
any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

Chris