Rex B

Hi,
I heat my basement shop with wood. The woodstove came from Navy City
Metals in Gorst ie cheap. Last year I burned a lot of scrap wood from a
wood shop. The wood was nice and dry. It did need to be cut shorter
to fit the stove and one did have to watch for nails. But the price is
right. Now one can only install a certified stove so useable wood
stoves are harder to find and more expensive to buy.

I don't think you should use wood as your only source of heat. It is
not economical when you consider the time it costs you. But I would
sure recommend it over no heat at all and if you generate any wood
scrap it will help you get rid of it.

I do the same thing. My shop came with a woodstove built from a
55-gallon drum. I separate shop trash into burnable and not. So I get
rid of paper towels, newspaper etc that is soaked with oil or anything
else. Same with wood scaps, cardboard, old crossties removed from
landscapng etc. If I keep it hot no noticable odor comes fro the stack.
Here in N Texas I rarely have to supplement the scrap and discards with
real firewood. But there's plenty of that that I won't burn in my
fireplace at home.
My intention is to convert it to waste oil by adding a compressed air
line blowing across a tee-fitting to spray the oil into the drum. I'll
start it by burning the usual waste, then cut in the oil as it burns down.