Larry Jaques

On 3 Oct 2005 17:18:58 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, jim rozen
quickly quoth:

In article , DoN. Nichols says...

The main question is whether he can identify the ground clip on
the probe as described. Most Tektronix scope probes of relatively
recent vintage have a groove about half-way back from the tip to the
entrance point of the cable. A clip, sort of like a small version of a
hairpin clips into this to connect the ground clip to the scope probe's
ground.

For low-frequency use, sometimes the ground at the probe is best
omitted. On rare occasions the little ground clip has been known
to detach from the ground point (in high sproing factor installations)

And what, may I ask, is a LOW sproing factor installation? I've never
seen one except when a ground plane hit the edge of a single-sided
circuit board. How often do you see those nowadays, hmmm?

and flip deftly through the air to land on the nearest high voltage
terminal point.

Across separate HV and/or ground points together, of course.

With predictably exciting results.

The Fry Factor is high.

Not that *I've* ever done this. Ahem.

We've only heard rumors of it being done, right? I've heard of
screwdrivers being gently laid upon circuit boards with interesting
results as well. And probe tips hitting more than the intended
single IC pin during probing, and... Sure glad that wasn't me.

--
"Most Folks Are As Happy As They Make Up Their Minds To Be"
-Abraham Lincoln