Robert Swinney

Thanx awl -- so it's 18 x min, 24 x max. Deep breath, release slowly, hold,
squeeze the trigger - got it. But how do you deal with that pesky heart
beat?

Bob Swinney

Bob Swinney
"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
Gunner, my question was more about the magnification factor you'd
recommend
for .22 RF off the bench. What is your best guess, 20 - 22 X? I want the
opinion of someone that used has some of the high-X scopes for bench
shooting. I fully realize they would be almost useless for hunting, but
my
quarry is only a sub-1/4 group at 50 yards.

Bob Swinney
"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 08:28:02 -0500, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Gunner sez:
" Im still shooting an ole Unertal 20x on my Anschutz 54 match rifle,
the Weaver 18x went on the Rem 40X"

So, is this a recommendation for a single power scope of around 20 - 22 X
for .22 RF work? I shoot "bench" with a Hart rest and a leather shot
bag
for the butt stock.

Bob Swinney

Bob..there are many many good scopes available today that are far
better than the old Unertals. Clearer, brighter. But they cost
dearly. As do the Unertals btw. If you shoot bench, then the size and
weight is not a factor and likely neither is brightness, assuming its
reasonable.

However..the Unertals etc are what I have..so I run what I brung, and
really have found no good reason to spend mega bucks on new hip slick
and cool optics. They have taken home the tropheys for me for years.

Gunner

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 17:04:35 -0500, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Thanx, Gunner. Those Tascos look good. I am leaning toward a single
power
scope though for .22 RF target use at 50 yards. Do you have a
recommendation, or anyone have a preference for any specific power?
I'm
thinking something around 20 X would be about right.

At this point..the big question is..what is your price range? Once
you get up over 10x...the price goes up with the magnification..faster
actually. Also..reticle?

My long range personel interdiction rifles have fixed 10x for the most
part. Weavers and Leopolds. For this kind of work..a fixed power
scope has advantages that a variable does not.

The varminters have a mix..Bushell, Lyman G, and Nikon.

Gunner

Bob Swinney
"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
om...
On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 11:00:54 -0500, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Redux on Redux. I have a 15 to 45 X Simmons spotting scope. Its
normal
use
is for .22 RF at 50 yards, where it is set for around 25X. I mostly
practice at 50 yards, trying to shoot 1/4 inch groups. Occasionally,
will
slew the little Simmons over and see what the boys are doing at 100
yards.
No problem, at all, reading their 30 cal. holes. Cheap spotting
scopes
like
mine have plastic lenses, which are great with only a small reduction
in
transmission. The more expensive ones have glass lenses - a little
better,
but a whole lot more money. I shoot with a vari-power Leupold scope.
Glass, of course, marvelous optic; beautiful scope. I am considering
getting another scope; pretty sure it will be a Simmons, single
power,
around 20X. It won't be quite as rugged as a Leupold but more than
sufficient for bench rest shooting. Think I'll save the Leupold for
quality air rifle for back yard practice.

Bob Swinney

Take a hard look at these, before buying a Simmons.

http://www.tasco.com/riflescopes/tar...int_main.shtml

btw..this is a decent scope of its type....
http://www.eabco.com/Tasco03.htm

I hope that Leupold you have, isnt going on a spring gun.

Gunner

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
news:37uvj1p6nrn8crbb7ggfkdlmg7knumd49i@4ax .com...
On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 09:06:04 -0400, Brian Lawson
wrote:

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 16:53:38 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

SNIP ALL

Hey Don,

What does "redux" mean?? I know a "redoubt" is an outlying
fortification, but I've never seen the term redux.

"Revisited". The term may have come into more common usage with
John Updyke's novel "Rabbit Redux", which was a sequel to "Rabbit
Run".

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to
clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals
are
so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry