DoN. Nichols

According to Eric R Snow :
On 4 Oct 2005 00:11:27 GMT, (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

[ ... ]

The main question is whether he can identify the ground clip on
the probe as described. Most Tektronix scope probes of relatively
recent vintage have a groove about half-way back from the tip to the
entrance point of the cable. A clip, sort of like a small version of a
hairpin clips into this to connect the ground clip to the scope probe's
ground.

[ ... ]

DoN,
Maybe probe is the wrong word. What I have is a coaxial cable with a
twist on connector that fits the input on the 'scope. The cable is
about 18 inches long. At the other end two wires with clips on the
ends are coming out. The red wire is connected to the center wire of
the coax. The black to the outside conductor of the coax. It has
molded into the strain relief: POMONA ELECTRONICS and the numbers
5155. I don't know if probe is really the correct word. But using it,
along with Ned's great instructions, I was able to see all four of the
transitions for each line of the encoder.
Eric

O.K. I know those, and I would never call them a probe. At
least, you don't have to worry about adjusting the vertical V/Div for
that, it is a 1:1 connection. And until you get to high frequencies,
you probably don't need to tune it for the scope's input
characteristics, either.

I probably would just call it a BNC to clip lead cable, FWIW.
The twist-on connector is a BNC (Sometimes attributed to "Berkeley
Nucleonics Corporation", but I think that the "B" is for "Bayonet" and
that it predates the company. The "N" would seem to be for the Type-N
connector, except that is a larger connector for a larger cable. But
the other features (aside from the Bayonet locking ring) are quite
similar to the Type-N scaled down.

There is also a "TNC" connector (Threaded instead of Bayonet),
but that is less common, and less convenient for most uses.

You really should get the proper 10X probes for your 'scope, as
they have the advantage of not loading down the circuit under test the
way the capacitance of the coax cable does. Here is an auction about to
close for a nice set:

7549779574

It has gotten fairly steep already, so you might want to wait for
another set at a better price. This set started at $9.99, which would
be a nice price, but it is now up to $56.00 with about an hour and a
quarter to go.

This auction:

7551038306

has a buy-it-now, and a more affordable price, but I'm not sure who
actually made these probes. I'm pretty sure that they are not by
Tektronix.

This one:

7551281799

is still pretty affordable, and the probes are about the right vintage
for your scope, I think. (Quite similar to the ones for my Tektronix
454 scope, but a bit faster.)

There are several in close sequence starting with:

7551229886

which are starting at an attractive $1.00 each, but those are 1X
probes, not 10X.

My ebay search was a simple:

Tektronix scope probes

and it turned up a lot of scopes as well.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |