Amun

"John Keith" wrote in message
On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 16:27:16 -0400, "Amun"
wrote:

Why aren't you asking about the ballast ?

Because I'm just learning about these lights. I assumed that the bulbs
were the most likely to fail and they are easily replaceable. What do
I need to learn about the ballast? Is it replaceable or does one just
replace the fixture to fix a ballast?

John Keith

You can pretty much think of them the same as a fluorescent strip, if that
helps.
Testing of the parts is pretty similar for all gas discharge type lighting.

Easiest way to test a bulb is in another working fixture.
Or try a known good spare.

You can not simply go by a $2.00 ohmmeter continuity test, as you can with
a regular incandescent bulb.

But depending on the light sometimes the ballast is worth more than a
replacement fixture.

AMUN