Doug Miller

In article , House Mouse wrote:

How do you test a GFI. I dont mean pushing the button I mean down the
line. If you use a GFI outlet to protect several load outlets how can
you be sure that the last outlet on the load side is protected? I
know I could just force a dead short with a piece of wire in the
outlet but I am reluctant to do that in case the GFI fails I dont want
to end up with a large black mark on my outlet. I also dont want to
fry the GFI with a huge current spike.

For about ten bucks at home centers or hardware stores, you can buy a plug-in
outlet tester that has a GFCI test button on it. Plug it in, push the button,
and if the test lights all go out, the outlet is adequately protected.

--
Regards,