keith

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 00:34:40 -0500, Richard J Kinch wrote:

miamicuse writes:

Should I chip them out and replace
with real grout or is it "OK" what I did?

Both are essentially portland cement plus sand. Thinset is hidden so it
can employ the cheapest grey portland cement.

Not necessarily. The thinset I used recently is white portland. It's
certainly more expensive, but is recommended for lighter colored tiles.

White or colored grout uses
white portland cement (more expensive than grey) so that it is either
white, or can be tinted. Since grout is non-structural just about any
cementitious base would suffice, unless you are looking for decreased
water permeability.

The ancient craft used the same stuff for setting and grouting.

The stuff today seems different when mixed though. Maybe its the
sand/portland ratio or some such. As you point out, grout is intended to
be pretty, not structural.

--
Keith