Set Square

Default Central heating problem after draining/filling system.

JJC001 wrote:

I drained my central heating system to remove s couple of pipes that
used to feed a radiator that has not been on the wall since moving
into the house. The pipes were t'd in so I simply removed the T joints
and reconnected the pipes with some straight connectors. I then
refilled the system by turning on the water to the expansion tank in
the loft and bled as many of radiators as possible. Everything seemed
to be ok but:

1: The radiator in one of the bedrooms is warm at the bottom but not
at the top. I cannot find a bleed valve on it anywhere. Not at the
sides or the along the top at the back. There is a circular lump in
what I would consider to be a normal position but there is no valve
attached. Is this usual and if not how can I bleed it?

2: The radiaror in the bathroom remains cold. The pipes feeding it on
both sides are hot but the radiator remains cold. I have bled it and
there is only water coming out. Yes I have made sure the valves are
on. Any ideas?

3: There are two radiators on the ground floor that have both been
bled but remain cold (as do the pipes that feed them)!

All the other radiators are fine. Do I need to bleed the pump or
anywhere else other then the radiators? Sometimes I can hear what
sounds like water trickling in the pipes is this indicating anything?

The boiler also feeds the ho****er tank and this all seems fine so I
am now at a loss at to what I should do.

Thanks

It is most unusual for a radiator not to have a bleed screw. Some are in
"unlikely" places! Can you post a reference to a of photo of it, to see
whether anyone recognises it and can tell you where the bleed screw is?

With regard to the radiators which don't get hot, you have an air lock in
one of the supply pipes. They still bleed ok, because the water comes via
the other pipe. The usual cure for this is to turn off all other radiators
except each of the problem ones in turn - so that all the water is forced
through just one radiator. You may also need to increase the pump speed
while you do this. This usually clears the air lock.

If this doesn't work, bleed each of the rad's pipes separately. Turn off one
valve so that water can only come in via the other pipe, and bleed quite a
lot of water (several pints) out of the bleed screw. Then swap to the other
valve and repeat. [If your system has been balanced, note the number of
turns required to close the lockshield valve, so that it can be returned to
the same position].

HTH.
--
Cheers,