John Girouard

mike hide wrote:
wrote in message

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 22:06:47 -0400, "mike hide"
wrote:

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 19:27:31 -0400, Roy Smith wrote:

In the Japanese scroll room, I found a Sam Maloof armchair.

I've sat on chairs there by Sam Maloof, Tage Frid, and both a bench and
a Conoid by George Nakashima. I did the measured Conoid drawings of the
from that one, to build my own from it.

I also had supper in a gallery there one evening, but that's a perk of
speaking at museum conferences 8-)

They have a roughed out Maloof arm chair at Highland Hardware in town
here.
I have sat in it several times and found it not too ergonomically correct
.
As opposed to the antique chairs where everything seems to suit the body
very well, the arms on the Maloof chair seem way too low, to me at
least....

he talks about the low arms as being more like handles to scoot the
chair in and out at the table/desk/whatever with. for a chair you're
lounging about in armrests are a good thing. for chairs you sit in to
do stuff, armrests get in the way.

Then why the arms ??? if they are simply to scoot the chair around tyhen put
a handle on the cresting rail and castors on the legs

They also act as stretchers... there are none below the seat. See this
month's issue of Fine Woodworking for an interview.

-John