alexy

1. Because the wood is flatsawn, the grain patterns are harder to
match-up, so I would like to glue-up two 6" boards, rather than three
4" boards. I am doing this for the sides and the shelves. Because
this is flatsawn, am I setting myself up for problems with cupping/etc?

I think you may be reducing your problems with that, if you glue one
board bark-side up and the other bark-side down. Result of any cupping
will then be a wave in the board rather than a deep cup or hump.

2. The reason I'm doing the half-dovetails, instead of simply dadoes,
is that I want the sides of the bookcase to be held together by the
shelves themselves. I am NOT gluing the dovetails, but rather pinning
them in the front to allow them to expand freely toward the back of the
case.

Why? isn't the grain on the sides vertical, and on the shelves along
the length of the shelf? If so, the sides and shelves should have the
same front-to-back expansion, so no reason not to clue the sliding
DTs.