dadiOH

2. The reason I'm doing the half-dovetails, instead of simply dadoes,
is that I want the sides of the bookcase to be held together by the
shelves themselves.

Why not use full sliding dovetails? Easier and double the grab
______________

I am NOT gluing the dovetails, but rather pinning
them in the front to allow them to expand freely toward the back of
the case. However, am I running the risk that, because I'm using
flatsawn boards, that this whole thing is literally going to pull
itself apart over time?

It will be fine. Would be too if you glued them (I would) as any
expansion in the shelves and ends is in the same direction. For that
matter, you could dump the dovetails - half or full - and just glue
shelf tenons into side dados...assuming the dados/tenons are a decent
fit the sides aren't going to pull out.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...