RoyJ

The direct flame heaters like the classic bullet heaters are only for
temporaty use. The chemistry combustion will tell you that for every
gallon of fuel you use, you will nearly a gallon of water vapor (exact
ratio depends on exactly the hydrocarbon you are burning) My 115k BTU
kerosene heater uses a gallon an hour, puts a gallon of water into the
air. It's not a big issue for the center of the garage, the tools
sitting in the far corner tend to get rusty. Not too mention the issue
of Carbon Monoxide poisoning if your burned is misadjusted or
malfunctioning. I've had it once, survived the experience, it was NOT fun.

The infra red gas heaters have the same issues, you are pumping water
into the area, you are not venting the fumes outside.

Since the building is built, skip the in floor hydronic heat. Nice and
even but hard to retrofit.

You are left with forced air or tube infra red. Both are good, the
forced air warms the air, makes it nice to work. Infra red warms the
equipment, you will still want to wear a vest.

consider getting a used home furnace. tear outs are common as folks
upgrade to higher effiency units. I've seen 5 year old units show up on
www.craigslist.com in the free section. $50 to $100 should get you an
80k btu unit with 80% effiency. Use a standard plennum on top, fix up 2
or 3 8" round ducts a few feet long to get some air flow to the areas
you want.

RainLover wrote:

hey everyone,

Winter's right around the corner and after 2 years without studio
heat, I MAY finally be able to do something about it.

I have a 1,500 (30' x 50') sf studio with 17' high ceilings (Quonset
hut, so only the peek is that high)

I've been leaning towards a propane tank outside and one of those
propane-powered shop heaters mounted up on an end wall. Are these the
best way to go? any other suggestions?

I've seen the Infrared heaters in home centers and costcos... are they
more efficient?

Cost is a factor for me.

Thanks,

James, Seattle