Amun

"Tim Fischer" wrote in message
I've never heard of a GFCI being "fried" by a motor. The reason that
certain large appliances (refrigerators, freezers, sump pumps) are allowed
not to be on a GFCI is that the startup surge current of the motors
sometimes causes them to false-trip. They don't FRY though, you simply

have
to reset them. But by the time you notice, the food has spoiled or the
basement has flooded.

-Tim

Yes, it is the motor starting currents that do the damage.

That's why most appliance makers state they do not recommend GFI's being
used right in the instruction manuals.
Often the electronics do fry, but without any outward signs.

Even "dirty" power (surges/brownouts) to a house can eventually do them in.

e.g. it doesn't trip anymore,.....ever,..... even when it should.

I would lay odds if you checked a bunch of GFI's that were "in use"
randomly, probably over half would not be offering ANY protection, or be so
far out of spec to be effectively useless..

How many have you ever seen properly "tested" after they were in use for a
while though ?
Those test buttons on most only cause a dead short, not a real ground fault
test.

That's why I laugh at the people here who say, GFI's don't even need a
ground.
Once there is no protection, you might as well just have a .89 cent outlet.

AMUN