Rich256

wrote in message
ups.com...

If that is a wooden post I it is probably rotted off. And I expect it

was
set in concrete. The tough job is getting the old concrete out. I

prefer
to tamp the dirt in around the post and not use concrete. That is a

little
more work when installing but a lot easier when you have to remove them
again.

If it is a metal post you probably will have to set it in concrete.

OP here. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

It's a 6 ft fence. Standard fence that builders put. The posts are
wooden. Not metal. I don't think it's rotten because it's about 4 years
old and it looks in good shape. My backyard has a retaining wall made
of railroad ties that's supporting the dirt. So I figure the post just
became loose or something.

Thanks.

I still think the post is broken off If it was set in concrete it would
not be loose and it usually rots there. The fence and post may look like
new but the concrete holds the moisture causing it to rot faster. You wont
know until you do a little digging. I had something similar just a week
ago. Turns out two posts were rotted off. Fortunately my soil is very
sandy and easy to dig but those chucks of concrete were a pain to get out.
Fence companies putting in new fences just cut the old post off and dig a
new hole next to it.

I like to use a preservative such as creosote on the area of the post that
will be buried.