Dave D

"crevitch" wrote in message
I am in the process of transcribing my 8mm tapes to DVD. After doing about
8 of them, I started to experience sync problems. I used a head cleaning
cassette. This seems to work, but now I cannot get through a whole tape
without needing to clean again. This happens with two cameras, and more
than one tape. The tapes are about 12 years old. When the heads are clean
the tapes look perfect.

Does anyone know what is going on? Have I damaged the machines by using
the tape cleaners such that they get dirty much faster. Or is there some
coincidence that I have several tapes that are dirty. Is there some way
to clean the tape?

I have used the camera for recording for many years without using the
cleaning cassette, and never experienced problems with record or playback.
However, this is the first time I am using the camera for playing entire 2
hour tapes.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

You don't say exactly how much use the camcorders have had, and how old they
are. It could be that the heads are fine, and that the 12 year old tapes are
breaking down and leaving their gunk behind.

However, it could be that the heads are starting to show signs of wear as
well. Heads which require shortening cleaning intervals can sometimes be a
warning that they are wearing out.

I'd certainly suspect that the 12 year old tapes are past it. It's easy to
verify, just buy a new one and see how well it works over a period of time.

A word of warning- head cleaning cassettes are rather bad for your heads,
and will acclerate wear. Furthermore, a cleaning cassette does not do a
proper job of cleaning the heads IMO. You might want to invest in a proper
cleaning kit with chamois cleaning pads and isopropyl alcohol, and read up
on how to wet clean your heads, and indeed the capstan, pinch roller and
tape guides. It's not particularly easy on an 8mm camcorder, but well worth
the results if you feel up to a challenge.

Failing that, ISTR you can buy wet cleaning cassettes, which should do a
better job, but I don't know if they come in 8mm format. As a last resort,
you may have to put the camcorders in for a service.

Dave