Keith Williams

In article , says...

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message

snip

Thanks, I'll schedule that for when I don't need the PC for a while!

But if this is a *beat*, presumably there are two components, not one?

Not necessarily, it could be the natural resonance of the component/PC
casing.

It may be coincidence, but I've only become aware of this since
installing a third HD - a 200GB Maxtor Diamond, 7200 rpm, in addition
to my two 60GB Maxtors.

Could be the new hard drive isn't fantastically well balanced. For example,
I've had UW SCSI drives create quite a racket as they can vibrate a bit more
than slower devices.

At 1Hz? I doubt it, unless it is beating against something else (like another
drive . I'd suspect the fans before the drive(s). Disconnect one at a time
and listen for any change.

BTW, when it comes to disconnecting a HD to test its impact on the
noise, can I just close WinXP, remove the power plug from it and
reboot?

snip

Best to not let Windows boot then. I've seen windows change drive letters
under these circumstances, which may or may not be a problem for you.

I've had Windows change drive letters for no apparent reason too. It's easy to
change 'em back though.

--
Keith