Bruce Barnett

Australopithecus scobis writes:

My question is why anyone would choose to be an ignorant fool: The
creationists and other fundies, the "moon hoax" nuts, the "there is no
global warming" heads-in-the-sand; the list goes on. Why does anyone
drink the Kool-Aid of willful ignorance?

Unfortunately our schools teach memorization over thinking. I was
really upset when a local teacher "taught" their class that you can
only balance an egg on end on the equinox.

This is a teacher. A simple experiment would be able to test this
theory, yet the teacher was woefully ignorant of the principles of
science and ended up teaching her kids an urban legend.

The correct response to the ID/creationists is not to meet them in debate;
it is to treat them with the scorn and derision they so richly deserve.

This, unfortunately, accomplishes nothing. Look at James Randi's
continuous rant against the occult. You have skeptics on one side,
true believers on the other, and both make fun of the other
side. Because - frankly - who wants to listen to an asshole? (By that
I mean someone who is insulting and thinks you are an idiot).
Both sides think the other side are assholes.