George

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message
Dan Major wrote:
: I have a project I'd like to try. It's fairly small, the pieces are no
: longer that 10". I don't have the means (money) to build a steam box.

All you need is a length of 4" or larger PVC pipe, an end cap, and
a teakettle.
The
: "slats" are 1/8 - 3/16 thick by 2 - 3 inches wide. Questions a
: 1) What's the easiest wood to bend?

Steamed ash is good.

SNIP

Ash is a great choice, and should be straight-grained because you rived it
yourself - best option, or you cut along the annual rings of a quartered
piece. Don't worry about waves in them, they'll steam straight.
Thicknessing is a bandsaw/pivot pin proposition. You don't have to be
fanatic and thump the side of a well-soaked black ash like the basket folks,
but your chances of success are greatest if you follow the principles they
use.