william_b_noble

with larger taps, like 1/4 inch, I've had good luck using a diamond point (I
suppose that's what you call it) in a high speed drill like dremel or an air
drill - the diamond dust on the point will cut the tap easily, just cut the
flutes off - since it's loose, cutting just one flute off ought to do the
trick. I get the "points" - whcih look like toothpics with diamond dust on
them - from a jewelry/lapidary store - they are pretty cheap (around a
dollar or so each) - lube with water if you wish
wrote in message
I have a broket 1/4-20 tap in some 1/2 in steel plate.
(Last hole of 8, of course)

I can access both sides of the tap, the tap is a 4 flute tap
and has a dimple in the end
(Looks like it was setup to drill it out.)

My HSS drill bit does not even touch it.

So my thought is to go to the local machinist supply store on monday
and buy a carbide drill of the apropriate size and drill out the tap
on the drill press.

Should I drill undersize and work my way up to the proper size?
Or should I drill at the apropriate size all at once.

The part is simple and not worth taking to to an EDM shop etc.. I'll
just make another one if I have to.

I can rotate the tap back and forth abut 10 degrees with some small
needle nose. In general I've never had any luck with tap extractors,
alas if one was ever going to work at all now is the time.

Paul