Peter Wiley

In article , Jess
wrote:

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 20:27:59 -0500, Jess
wrote:

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 07:29:51 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

Jess wrote:

I've got this neat old steady rest, snip
need help with identifying its 'parent' machine
http://www.indiancreekprecision.com/steadyrest.html

Minor Update regarding hardware - the screws for the adjusters are
1/2-13 tpi
The hold down screw is 3/4-10 tpi
The banjo bolt for the swing - open feature is 1/2 - 13 tpi

Probably off an American lathe, then. Nobody else on the planet has
been so stupid as to use 13 TPI - the std UNC thread pitch. Ever tried
screwcutting one? Yecch. BSW is 12 TPI, piece of cake.....

I have a very old Smith-Drum lathe with 1/2-13 bolts all over it.
Funnily enough I got a steady rest with it - that doesn't fit. One of
these days I'll do what you're doing, then probably sell it.

PDW