RWL

Default Fuel tank rust removal / sealer

The rust removal question gets beaten around here periodically but I
have a variation on the theme. I'm wondering if any of you guys have
some experience that may be useful.

I'm restoring a Coleman lantern. Great exterior, but the inside of
the font (tank) is lightly rusted. The guys in the Coleman group
typically put a bunch of nuts or BB's in, shake till you can't stand
it any more, and then blow it out with compressed air. Gets rid of
the rust but the metal's just waiting to rust again.

I'm looking for an easier way to remove the rust and then a more
permanent fix to prevent its return.

If I used auto body metal prep (phosphoric acid) would that kill the
rust so that it wouldn't come back, or does it just etch the metal so
that paint adheres better?

The tank is pressure tight, but I was wondering if one of the gasoline
tank sealers might be a good coating to line the font / tank with so
that the air can't get to the metal and make it rust again.

******* Recreate gaps in email address to reply *******