spoon2001

to John Willis and John especially - thanks very much for the information
and opinions. You have helped me to understand the problem a lot better. I
posted a thank you ealier but I've noticed my new news server isn't very
reliable.

Any ideas why there is roofing cement at the bottom of the cap flashing?
Maybe at one point there was no step flashing underneath, the cap flashing
might have been in direct contact with the original roofing below?

John - I'd get up there and chip off that old roofing cement myself -
unfortunately I'm in Texas and it's HOT up there, and you said it's best to
do when the material is cold and brittle.

Thanks again, very, very much.