Amun

So we can see there are definitely different rules in different areas.

Here in a kitchen all (new)counter outlets MUST be split with two branch
circuits, and only 2 outlets total on any (kitchen) circuit.
So GFI outlets are not even possible.

GFI's are only required within 3 feet of a sink/tub/shower, or outdoor
outlets.
And ALL GFI outlets MUST be grounded.

And remember that "new construction" and "repairs" are governed by different
rules.

Personally I still think GFI's are over-rated by many, and are not only
unnecessary in many places, but simply don't work.
Appliances with motors often fry them.
e.g. Refrigerators, Washers, Freezers, Sump Pumps, etc.

AMUN

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
If he lives in the U.S. and his electrical wiring is subject to the NEC,
then it's a requirement

"Amun" wrote in message

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
While GFCI protection is not required for a "microwave" it is required
for
all kitchen counter outlets regardless of what may be plugged into them

Perhaps where you live, but not here, and I'm sure in many other locals
they are not mandatory.

I suppose the one it really matters to is the OP.

AMUN