evodawg

miamicuse wrote:

A while ago I had some left over white thinset in it's original 20# bag, I
poured them into an empty plastic bucket (labeled for grout). I put it
away
and forgot about it for a whole year. Yesterday I noticed in my bathroom
shower tiled wall there is a crack along one of the recessed alcove. So I
used screw driver to chip the grout out, then took out the "grout" from
that
bucket, mixed it with latex grout additive and water and used it. This
morning I remember that those were not grout, those were thinset!

Now the question is, what have I done? Should I chip them out and replace
with real grout or is it "OK" what I did? It is inside the shower on the
wall about waist height and will get wet.

Thanks for any comments.

MC

It will be fine. I use thinset as a stucco patch replacement all the time
outside and it is tough. I also use tile adhesive for grout now and then on
thin joints. Tile adhesive makes a great stucco final coat. As long as it's
not put on to thick. It shrinks and will crack if applied to thick.
Rich
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"