udarrell

I'm in the process of getting my gas furnace replaced. I have three
bids from three different firms, based on single-stage AFUE 80 models
from American Standard, Carrier, and Trane.

The bids are fairly close, but the Trane-based one is a few hundred
dollars lower. This appears to be because Trane offers a kit of some
sort which makes it possible to vent its single-stage furnace through
the existing masonry chimney without dropping in a metal flue liner. In
contrast, the other two bids include the installation of the flue
liner.

So I'm wondering: (1) Just what this Trane device does to avoid the
condensation which I'm told would otherwise occur if an AFUE 80 furnace
were vented through the old chimney without a liner; and (2) whether
there is a downside to going with this Trane solution.TIA

I need one too, also a screened cap or hood.

--
Crank Your Air-Conditioner Up To Specs
http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditio...city-seer.html