Ken Moiarty

"Tim Fischer" wrote in message
How low is your deck to the ground?

The bottom of the joists about 6 inches off the ground.

[...] But I've never heard of anyone doing anything like dipping screws in
wax or anything like that...

I got this tip from
http://www.woodsthebest.com/ipe_deck..._fastening.htm

"Dipping the screws in paraffin wax, prior to installation, will allow for
easier insertion, and the wax will seal the hole."

There are many references that describe using wax to lubricate wood screws.
But this is the only reference I know of that describes this use of wax on
screws as also serving to "seal the hole" . I was hoping other people here
had heard about or knew something more about this and could therefore
comment.

Ken