Ken Moiarty

"Kevin Ricks" wrote in message

[...]
This is a question for me as much as it is for you. Why use any sealer at
all on the PT joists/frame?
I built a deck with PT and EON (plastic) deck boards. I did seal end cuts
with wood preservative but I thought PT would not need anything else even
with direct ground contact?
Kevin

Two more considerations: (1) The fact that my deck is going to be hemmed in
almost completely around its circumference by pre-existing landscape
planters. (A certain lady of the house, and master lanscape architect for
the yard, is responsible for this arrangement; not my choice...) This means
that (unless I were to install industrial duty fans underneath - not
likely), air circulation underneath the deck will be 'unacceptably' poor.
(2) With the recent change in PT wood specifications from arsenate based
preservative to less toxic alternative(s), I won't be surprised when/if in a
few short years it gradually becomes apparent to consumers that "PT lumber
don't last as long as it used to". I don't *foreknow* this will be the
case, of course. But I see no basis to place much faith in lumber makers'
and/or the governments' present assurances to the contrary. For one thing,
they just don't have 30 or so years experience with the newer stuff having
been used _in the field_ to be able to properly compare it to the
conventional product, in my opinion. And afterall, the lumber makers just
want us to buy the stuff, and our governments, well, they have their own
bottom line too. So they each tell the public, "all the public *needs* to
know" (for the time being, that is). In summary, I'm trying hard to err on
the side of caution here.

Ken