Ed Sirett

Default Cost of Installing a Combi boiler

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 16:46:15 +0100, Mike Mitchell wrote:

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 11:06:49 +0100, tarquinlinbin
wrote:

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 09:45:59 +0100, Mike Mitchell
wrote:

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 04:08:10 +0100, tarquinlinbin
wrote:

........... Good tradesmen dont need
to tout for work or be haggled down.

But, as you said, they are as rare as rocket horse "muck". The rest of
us have to take what is available. I wonder just how much
shoddy/rip-off workmanship is covered by that Corgi "badge" of honour?

I totally agree with the inference. CORGI reg is a poor attempt at
upholding standards and registrations,its all weve got I'm afraid. I
just wish Joe and Joanne public would realise that thats all it is,a
registration scheme.
How about half the price of the new gas cooker to have the old hob
merely disconnected (I removed the hob) and the new cooker connected?

If the same guy was doing both jobs at the same time (in the same
visit) it does sound a bit steep.

No, 40 quid on the Tuesday to disconnect the hob, which I then
removed. 80 quid the next day (Wedesday) to connect the new gas
cooker. They were working in the village at the time. Must have cost
them, ooh, all of five minutes to drive to my house. I did query it,
but they said they had to fit a steady chain...

"But you have to have Corgi!!!"

I tend not to charge a call out but I do have a minimum fee of £40.
I might take a bit less from a _neighbour_ if the job is trivial.

Small jobs are disproportionately expnsive, it's the same for carpentry or
electrics or any of the trades.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk