pakdog

Default Washing Machine Install

I'm replumbing my laundry room for a washing maching and have two
questions about the drain pipe.

1) The old drain pipe doesn't appear to have a trap. Is this typical for
washing machine drains? I think I can fit in a running trap (U-trap?) if
needed.

2) An old general home repair book advises installing the drain pipe so
the outlet is no lower than the wash tub water level -- to "ward against
overflow." Since the book was written about 25 years ago, I'm wondeirng if
this still applies. It's possible I could get the drain pipe up to the
level of the tub, approx 35" but there's a vent pipe in the same wall
where I'm working that is in the way.

Kevin