I have a question along the same line of discussion. I have a Kitchen
Aid Superba that was manufactured in 5/2000 bought in 6/2000. Ran fine
until last Sunday and the freezer and fridge defrosted. I bought it
from Sears but a Sears tech could not come out until late in the week
so I went with a local repair shop that is factory trained. The local
shop indicated a bad compressor and said it needed to be replaced.
Wanting a comparison on cost I called Sears to compare the service cost
of new compressor. Both about the same but Sears offered an extended
warranty that was 1/2 the cost of the compressor and labor quotes. So,
Sears comes out and replaces the relay (part 2261636).

The local shop called to see what I wanted to do and I told them that
Sears replaced the relay. He said that was just a quick fix and that
he believed the compressor would go bad/blow the relay again and that
the policy of a reputable shop would be to tackle the problem and not
the electrical (replace the compressor and relay not just the
compressor)
So, after being long winded (typed)

Here is my question:
What is the most likely solution? Should Sears have replaced the
compressor? Does a relay act as a fuse and if replaced can run fine
for the life of the unit?

Thanks for any responses.

--
fritznewton