Bob

"PipeDown" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Goedjn" wrote in message

I heard several years ago that crunched up newspaper can be placed in

the
freezer to fill the remaining space, but as I had a frost free at the

time
didn't pay much attention to this advice.

Obviously I've got to do a proper defrost at some stage but can anyone
verify that newspaper can be used to fill a freezer and hopefully reduce
the
frost buildup ?

Anything that displaces air will work. The less air volume, the
less water vapor their is to deposit as frost. I'd use 2 liter
bottles mostly filled with water. (Don't put them all in at once.)

The newspaper should work but you will need to pretty much fill all open
space. It will act like insulation by trapping air (which is initially
dehumidified in the freezer) and held there by the folds preventing new
moist air from entering.

Bottles of water won't be able to fill the whole space as well as crumpled
paper but the thermal mass of the frozen water will help keep the freezer
cold causing it to run less after you open and close it. Also the reduced
air volume will leave less frost behind.

You could save energy by using empty bottles.. Freezing water takes
significant energy.

Bob