Speedy Jim

Dan wrote:
I am going to be selling my house in central Ohio. Barring an
astoundingly quick sale, it will be vacant over the winter. Since I
will be in Seattle during this time, I will not be here to conveniently
check on the house while it is vacant. What should I do to "winterize"
the house? I plan to shut off the heat. I understand the need to shut
off the water & drain the pipes, as well as to shut off & drain the
water heater. I've also read about putting antifreeze in the toilet.
Anything else need attention? Is it advisable/feasible to blow out the
pipes with compressed air? I do have a compressor.

TIA

Dan

Use RV antifreeze- non toxic. Put in toilet bowl and
all sink, shower, etc. traps.

Dishwasher and washing machine will retain water
which can freeze.

Blowing out lines is a good idea.

I'm assuming city water. Ask the utility if they
want to protect their meter (they blow up if frozen).

May not be a good idea to shut heat completely off;
house could suffer some damage by going down to freezing.

Assume this is forced hot air system.

Jim