Gary K.

ASKo,

As my home is about 85 years old, I don't think that the modern looking,
curved front of the RBA sash would fit my home either, and I do think they
are over-priced for a vinyl-based product(even if it does have 40% wood
fiber in it!).

I was wondering - does Marvin offer a pre-primed or painted option for the
interior wood, or will you need to paint them?

Hope all goes well with your project. Please share your results with the
group when the dust has settled.

regards,

Gary

"ASKo" wrote in message
oups.com...
We had an RBA rep come and give us the 3-hour sales pitch, did
measurements, did the cheesy heat lamp demonstration, etc. Our price
for 17 double-hung windows, including installation, was about $13,300.
That was with the "if you buy it today" incentive discount. We felt
very pressured by that tactic and decided to shop around. Needless to
say, the rep called back several times, hinting that we'd still get the
discount. We did more research after seeing the RBA (which looks just
like vinyl to me) and decided that in order to maintain the historic
look of our 1930s house, we'd go with Marvin clad wood sash
replacements. We're still waiting on that order to come through, so I
can't comment on how good they are. The materials price for the 17 sash
kits was about $8,500; we'll see what the installation cost will
be.....hopefully the total will be less than the RBA quote, and more
pleasing to the eye.