dean wrote:
Hi all, I have a nagging question. I have a fireplace in my basement
(!!!) which has been pretty much not used. The chimey is like 12"
square inside, some of the tiles look like they could have moved.

I'm putting n a wood furnace - so it should have much less heat that a
fireplace: its supposed to heat the flu to around 280 degrees according
to its specs, to prevent creosote.

Do I need a liner? Furnace requires minumum 8" round flue. Chimney guys
ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS say I need something, and I don't trust those
mofos. Can the township tell me or what?

Don't want to spend another 1-2K on a liner if its totally unnecessary.
The chimney has 2 flues, the other one is for a fireplace on the ground
floor, which I use all the time with no problems.

Thanks,

Dean

your first call should be to your insurance company - provide them with
the stove specs and they will make the decision for you.