In article ,
says...
On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 16:49:16 GMT, G wrote:

I just bought a new house (first one!) and the existing
water heater is over 15 years old. My father-in-law has
a 50-gallon gas water heater that he only used for a few
months before upgrading to a bigger tank because he
upgraded his bathroom...

Question: If the 50-gal water heater was emptied and has
been sitting in his garage for 2 years, are there any
problems that could exist or manifest over the years in
an empty tank?

I'll check the anode and pressure valve, but any other
major things to look out for? Any quick & dirty tests I
can do when I first install it to make sure it's good
for the next 10-15 years?

Thanks!

It should be fine. However, if the holes were not plugged, be sure no
mice made nests in it, and around the burner too. No matter what, I'd
wash it out (outdoors) with the garden hose to remove any crap that
may have gotten inside.

Mark

What's the best way to wash out a disconnected water
heater that may (or may not) have rust on the bottom?
Stick a hose in the cold water inlet at the top and
leave the drain open at the bottom? Should I fill it out
about 10% and get a couple of guys to swish it around?
etc...

Tnx