Edwin Pawlowski

"dean" wrote in message
some of the tiles look like they could have moved.

I'm putting n a wood furnace - so it should have much less heat that a
fireplace: its supposed to heat the flu to around 280 degrees according
to its specs, to prevent creosote.

My woodstove puts out much MORE heat than a fireplace. YMMV Where is the
280 degrees measured? As th e flue gasses rise, they are cooled a bit and
may condense at one particular spot in the chimney.

Do I need a liner? Furnace requires minumum 8" round flue. Chimney guys
ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS say I need something, and I don't trust those
mofos. Can the township tell me or what?

Only way you should need a liner is if the chimney is in need of repair. A
competent chimney sweep can put a camera down the stack and see what it
really looks like. If it is solid, all the joints intact, no reason not to
use it as is. You may be able to inspect at least some of it with a
flashlight and mirror.

The township may be able to tell you minimum code, but they will not have
the specific requirements for every brand of stove or heater.