N. Thornton

Default Plaster Problem...

(Andrew Gabriel) wrote in message ...
In article ,
(Matt Durkin) writes:
Hi All,
I have just stripped the wallpaper from my dining room and have
discovered some problems with the plasterwork. My house is a victorian
house and the problem wall has a chimney breast and has also been damp
proofed. The damp proofing area is fine (and not damp), the plaster is
strong and smooth, but my problems are mostly with the chimney breast
and the old plaster above the damp course.
The old plaster seems to be a browny colour (as opposed to the pink of
the newer stuff over the damp course), and seems very soft and
crumbly. When removing a couple of screws from the wall, big holes
formed. I can tell that the plaster is not well attached - it crumbles
away quite easily, and I suspect quite large sections could be easily
removed.

This sounds like new plaster which has been damp for a long time.
Where is it located, on the chimney breast?
Is the fireplace closed up, and if so, is it ventilated bottom
and top of the flue?

So, what should I do? Fill the holes, and then skim the wall, or pull
off all the loose plaster and replaster the wall? How much would I

You need to work out why it's damp and fix that, and then
pull it off, let it dry if it's soaking wet and replaster.

expect to pay a plasterer to patch this up and skim? The wall is about
3 metres by 2 metres (up to the picture rail which I'm not currently
planning to remove - or would I need to remove this?).

I would guess that scratch and finish coat will take it
over half a day's work (and I doubt you'll get a plasterer
to turn up for just half a day anyway). If you're paying
for a day's work, then you might want to search out any
other bits of reskimming you want doing. Price depends on
location, but you are probably looking at £200/day plus
materials (which don't cost much).

more like 100+ materials - and let the plasterer tell you where to get
the plaster and what kind. There are always folks you can get in for
nearer 40 a day... Why not diy?

Regards, NT