Wayne Whitney

On 2005-09-27, Bob Morrison wrote:

In a previous post Wayne Whitney wrote...

The 10 year-old roof on my house has no drip edge on the eaves, but
the bottom layer of architectural asphalt shingles hangs over the eave
by about 1". The bottom edge just dangles over the gutter. There's
no snow here, only rain (Berkeley, CA). Is this a reasonable/adequate
practice? Would adding a drip edge underneath the bottom row of the
shingles be feasible/beneficial?

Yes. If the bottom of the drip edge is below the top of the gutter,
then you won't get wind blown rain behind the fascia. My house does
not have drip edge flashing and on a 2:12 pitch the water runs back
under the roofing and down behind the fascia.

Ah, pitch, I should mention my roof is an 8:12 pitch (I believe), it
is just about the steepest I think is OK to walk on.

How is the drip edge normally attached to the roof deck? How can I
attach it to the roof deck when the first row of shingles is already
in place? The shingles are presumably only nailed at the midline, so
I should be able to lift the bottom half up to slide in a drip edge,
but I don't think there would be enough clearance to nail it.

Wayne