Set Square

Default Mixer shower only works sometimes

Red wrote:

I have a mixer shower that I installed about a year ago. Worked
great until about 2 weeks ago, when all of a sudden i could get no
hot water from it. cold yes, hot no. The weird thing is that every
now and again it seems to work. It never works in the mornings (the
time thatyou want a shower!). But the later you try in the day, the
better your chance of a hot shower. (when it doesnt work, there *is*
hot water in the system.)

The fact that it worked for a year, and now works sometimes indicates
to me that the is no problem with the hot feed, or a blockage.

As a side note, another strange thing that i've noticed is that
turned off the central heating on the timing unit. But every now and
again some of the radiators where red hot. I'd guess that either my
house is haunted, or the timers knackered.

Any ideas on either of these, or could they be related?

Many thanks in advance.

Red.

Nor sure how you managed to post your message at 10:43am - when it's only
10:15 at the moment! Please check your computer time clock (not that that
has any bearing on your shower/heating problems!)

With regard to these, you will need to tell us a bit more about your setup
before we can sensibly comment.

Where does the mixer shower get its hot and cold supplies from? Is there a
boost pump? Assuming the hot supply comes from the hot cylinder, is this a
dedicated supply for the shower, or shared with all the hot taps?

What type of heating/hot water system do you have? I assume that a single
boiler (gas or oil-fired etc.) heats both the water (via an indirect coil in
the hot water cylinder) and the radiators? Is it fully pumped or is the hot
water circuit gravity (convection) fed? What zone valves (e.g. single 3-port
mid-position diverter valve or 2-off 2-port zone valves etc.) do you have?

[Have a look at the various "plans" in
http://content.honeywell.com/uk/homes/systems.htm and try to identify your
setup]

--