C & M

"Marc" wrote in message
oups.com...

snip

1) What R-Value should I be aiming for?
2) I was thinking of installing rockwool bat insulation perpendicular
to the ceiling joists on top of the old stuff. I was wondering if I
should just remove all the old stuff and re-insulate with new material.
3) It looks like a wax paper type vapor barrier was installed. How
effective would this type of vapor barrier be? I am assuming that
barrier along with the several coats of alkyd paints that were applied
to the ceiling over the year should be sufficient?

Any advice would be much appreciated,

This won't be much help, but don't waste the insulation that you have.
Proceed with
your plan of perpendicular installation of batts. My home is the same and I
installed
the thickest batts I could lay my hands on. I definitely helped although I
can't give you a
cost/ benefit ratio because we heat with wood. It does seem easier to keep
the place
cool in the summer and warm in the winter. I agree with you on the vapor
barrier too.
HTH