Dan wrote:
Would it be a good idea to put a 30,000 btu heater in the 1st floor to cut back on the huge heating bill of about $300?

Here are the steps I should take in order to reduce my $300 bill:
I should 1st insulate (even super insulate) the ceiling, then the walls
& then the floor. The return on investment is substantial & most
rewarding.

If your area permits air exchange, ie, there are drafts or areas
between doors & between windows, & cracks through which air flows into
the area, then an unvented heater would be a good idea as the oxygen
used in combustion would be replaced by the air that is entering
through the points of ingress mentioned above. Furthermore the moisture
from the unvented heater released into the area will also dissipate
through the same points of egress. The other advantage of consequence
that will cause you to realize savings is that the usual 30 to 60%
"stack & transmission" loss you currently incurr in getting the heat
from your furnace to the area that you are actually in, will be
eliminated.

whats better the 3 brick units or the blue flame units?

All said & done, the brick or infra red units are desirable rather than
better. In real terms the 2 types of heaters serve different functions.
The blue flame units heat the air, which in turn heats you. If you are
moving around the area that you are heating, then the blue flame unit
is indicated, because no matter where you are in the area heated, you
shall be warmed by the heated air. But if you are like me & sit in
front of a computer, then the the brick infra reds that heat people &
objects in front of them as well as the air, are desirable. If the
heater is pointed at the person who might be sewing, cooking at the
cooking range or sitting in front of the computer or standing in front
of & operating a machine, then the infra red heats that person as well
as the air. So that is the difference between the infra red & the blue
flame. Your use will dictate which one to obtain.

Now, if your area being heated is of 'tight' (permitting no air
exchange) construction, then you may not use an unvented heater. You
shall now need to turn your attention to vented, or sealed combustion
or direct vented units. You may go to heating.products.bz/vented.html
for detailed explanations of these types of heaters. Hope this helps.
Ashoke.