Default Retaining wall

Hello Group,

Here is the situation. We have a flat backyard which is small, which
slopes HUGE hill. We want to build out the flat area as much as
possible, at the same time putting up a fence to protect our young
children.

Local building codes say that homeowners can build retaining walls 3
feet tall without permit. I have read that pressure treated lumber
retaining walls are not recommended because they only last 10 to 15
years. Personally if it lasted that long, that is acceptable.

I bought the house I grew up in actually! My question to the group is
this. I need a 36" retaining wall, and a 4 foot picket fence. What
I want to do is to put in my posts, and use those posts for the
retaining wall, a small ground clearance, then from the flat ground use
the same posts for my four foot picket fence. Is there a problem with
this?

Thanks for reading my post,
~Karl