Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Chuck wrote:
Yep.. Saber... during the "good" times thank goodness.. From 92 till
late 95... No bankruptcies while I was there.. but they had TWO last
year! One of the 3's is now part of the CLT airport museum N12907..

Was the 402.. N402NA by chance? If so.. one of their guys ran both
engines dry (still had fuel on board) and bellied it into the desert
in west Texas.. walked away from it..

I was at Saber in 1990. And yes, it was N402NA. I've run both tanks dry myself
one night coming back from Cleveland. I fell asleep while I was running on the
aux tanks over the mountains. I woke up when the right engine quit. Before I
could switch tanks, the left engine quit as well. I remember thinking at the
time how accurately I must have set the mixture. Both restarted pretty quick
after they had fuel again. I of course immediately told God I'd never fall
asleep again while flying and broke my promise about 20 minutes later.
Fortunately, He has a sense of humor.

Was Richie Lengal still there when you were with Saber? I've found a book about
being a professional pilot written by a Richie Lengal and assume it's the same
guy.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE