Gary K.

Rick,

The pricing info and other advice was quite helpful.

I was able to find a link to a thread with a lot of good talk about windows
in case others are interested.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...071825021.html

Thanks,

Gary

"Rick" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Gary K." wrote in message
news9CZe.1222$qC4.976@trnddc02...
Thanks for sharing your experience with these windows, Rick.

I had visited the Renewal by Andersen showroom and looked at them.

They
claim that their Fibrex material is far superior to vinyl! The

saleman was
highly reluctant to discuss the price of a particular

size/configuration of
window saying that they wanted to visit my home, take

measurements,etc. The
most information I could get regarding the price per window was that

it was
well above $500, but probably less than $1000! From your

experiences, it
sounds like they don't perform well enough to justify their high

cost.

I'm leaning toward the Pellas at this point, but wondering if anyone

can
tell me more about the Pella replacements sold by Lowes, or Marvin

windows,
which I've heard mentioned as being competitive with Pella.

Thanks again,

Gary

Well, in 1999, a 40X52 was $781, a 40X38 $683. The picture window,
which had to be tempered glass, was a 3 piece unit with fixed glass
side units. That was $2924

Those prices were for white pine veneer, clear glass, with screens,
installed. This was in a brick ranch, replacing aluminum frame
windows. The main advantage-you don't lose as much glass area with the
Fibrex material. As I understood at the time, each window has a serial
number so sash can be reordered if needed. I think they also come
pre-stained now.

Again, not a bad window, tops in the field when they first came out,
but there may be better choices nowadays. And many builders aren't
sold on Andersen (or Pella) for new construction any more. You can do
the Pella ProLine replacements yourself, but the Precision line is
installed by a Pella contractor (at least that's the way it was when I
got the Andersens)

I suggest you do a search of the newsgroups to see what others have
experienced...There are a lot of window manufacturers out there.