Pop

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
: "PJ" wrote in message
: ...
:
: I hope someone here can help me. When "winterizing" a sand
filter, should
: the handle be left in the "backwash" or "winterize" position?
I would have
: thought "winterize" was the obvious answer but my pool guy
left it on
: backwash. Also, should the pressure guage be taken off?
:
: 1. Where there is any risk of freezing, remove the
: drain plug from the bottom of the filter to empty it
: (and leave it off all winter.) The position of the
: control handle is irrelevant.

=== Personal experience and opinion here, but the drain plug
should be left in, but loose so it won't stop any condensate etc.
from dripping out.
Leaving it out invites critters and insects to make nests
inside, even bees & wasps

: 2. Yes, pressure gauges last longer if removed
: in winter.

=== Definitely. There is almost always SOME water left in them
as they sit installed. The diaphragms aren't very tough.
:
: --
: Don Phillipson
: Carlsbad Springs